Social Media Marketing 101
Since the title is social media marketing 101, we need to know what the “social media” is then … we can get into utilizing it.
So … What is “Social Media”?
You can find lots of jargons and professional explanations online but … it won’t help us much … since … it’s confusing… wanna try one of those confusing definitions? Let’s look at Wikipedia,
according to wikipedia’s definition,
Social media are computer-mediated technologies that allow the creating and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. The variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available introduces challenges of definition. However, there are some common features.
4) Social media facilitate the development of online social networks by connecting a user’s profile with those of other individuals and/or groups.
I don’t know what you feel, but after I read through it… I feel like … I wanna go and take a nap 🙂
There is one source describing it in a relatively simple way though,
According to LifeWire.com,
Social media are web-based communication tools that enable people to interact with each other by both sharing and consuming information.
You know us, we like things to be simple and straightforward. Therefore, from now on, we’d like to refer social media platforms as follows,
All of them have mass user base and rich interaction features for users to utilize. Basically, we are focusing on the “social” part (interacting with other people by sharing information with them and receiving information from them) since we are going to dive into “marketing” on social media. Massive influence is the key here.
What is “Social Media Marketing”?
according to Search Engine Land,
Social media marketing refers to the process of gaining traffic or attention through social media sites.
In a bit simpler words is that …
in the social media platform, you try to be an influencer to get people be interested in your products or services or everything you mention through your social media channels.
Why Social Media Marketing?
Effective & Inexpensive
Because it’s effective and inexpensive compared to traditional marketing or even search engine marketing. Also, it is more targeted since people on your social channels are more likely to be interested in what you offer (or say).
Did I mention that those social media platforms have massive user base? According to DMR, “as of January 2016, the average facebook user has 155 friends on the social network”. Through the amplification process, even if just one of your friends like what you post, it can create a snowball effect… to let your post be seen by hundreds, thousands, or even millions of people.
How Should I Do to Better Utilize My Time on Social Media Marketing?
Well… my suggestions are as follows (even it’s for our awesome drop shipping entrepreneurs, most of them can be applied to other fields),
1) Understand the culture of each channel (e.g., facebook is more towards friends/families even if you create a fan page for your business… it’s going to be more like close circle environment).
2) Don’t cut yourself too thin. If you have enough resources to manage all the channels you would like to be on, you can do so. However, most likely that you won’t have that privilege in the beginning of your venture. So … choose about 2 channels to start. My suggestion for our drop shipping entrepreneurs is to focus on Instagram first (I will talk about it in the future post).
3) Know your market & Know what you can offer. For instance, if you are selling mattress. Knowing everything about mattress then creating high quality posts on your channels. Maybe your next posting will be the next million views’ viral article, picture, or video… you never know.
4) “Content” is the “KING” & “Engagement” is the “KEY”. Spend a bit time every single day to follow, post, like, comment on your selected social channels. You will be amazed by what you will get in couple of days.
5) Never SPAM!!! (we all want to be seen and want to have result right away… but if you spam… you will never get there. Remember … it’s a social platform… the voice will be heard… good and bad. — Never SPAM.)
Basically, I just roughly went through the concept of “Social Media Marketing” and also gave our awesome drop shipping entrepreneurs a bit suggestions on some points related to it. I will be digging into it a bit deeper in the future posts. See you all in the next post.
Happy drop shipping,